Episode #035: Your Pocket Sailing Instructor Podcast Top 10 Gifts for Sailors!
Time for another top 10 list! With Christmas around the corner, here is my Top 10 Gifts for sailors! I also have a couple of other episodes that may help you find some goodies for your sailor (or yourself!) including: EP 1: Top 10 Comfort Items for Sailors, EP 9: My Top 8 Sailing Books, and EP 3: Safety First! What Safety Gear do you Need?.
Check out my FREE TOP 10 Comfort Items for Sailors Shopping List!
Support me on Patreon!
Sign Up for the Podcast!
Here are my most recent episodes:
#48: Mindset Shift – Docking Action Items… – Your Pocket Sailing Instructor Podcast
The usual things to keep in mind…
- Is this item multipurpose?
- Is this item easy to use?
- Is this item durable and not breakable?
- Is this item easy to store?
- Is this item practical?
Here are this year’s goods!
Alright, top 10 lists are one of my favourite things to come up with! Here we go!
- Gloves, gloves, gloves: your sailor will go through at least one set of gloves every season. So gloves are always welcome, especially if they are for different types of weather or season. There are MANY to chose from. Here are a couple styles/makes that I have had luck with: Gill Championship Sailing Glove Long Finger, Amara & Spandex Short Fingers Gloves, and generic Helly Hansen work gloves for cold-weather sails or boat work.
2. Handheld compass: I absolutely LOVE my handheld compass! I specifically like to use the Plastimo Iris 50 Hand Held Compass.
3. Base layers: so this is probably the least sexy thing you can buy your sailor (LOL), but being warm out there is SO nice. And there are so many fun options and weights. Check out my episode all about base layers EP 11: Base Layers! How to layer up for the occasion…
4. Sunglasses: I have discussed sunglasses in quite a few of my episodes. and I think a good pair are key for any sailor. I like Oakley, however I have also had success with Smith Optics. I was gifted a pair of Smith’s during a triathlon and I loved the fit and lens. However traditionally I have always used Oakley’s when sailing. EP 2: New Sailor Gear – Do I REALLY Need That?!
5. Headlamp: This can be a simple and cheap gift, or you can get crazy with it! lol. I splurged for 2018 Vic-Maui and purchased the Navisafe LED Head Lamp Light. It is not the most comfortable fit, but 4 years later, and 2500 NM in salt water, it still works. I also have a general purpose Petzl headlamp that lives on the boat, and it is good enough for quick jobs.
6. Kindle: I purchased Kindles for the kids and I when we got Spindrift. They are AWESOME for the boat! An e-reader is great as it lets you bring a bunch of books with you without taking up space. Highly recommended for quiet evenings at anchor.
7. Binoculars: this is also an area where you can splurge. I have a wonderful pair of anti-glare Olympus binoculars that I love.
8. Wet Notes: a great stocking stuffer and so practical on the boat. I go through several a year for my courses and just for writing general purpose notes. Wet Notes come in a few different sizes, and I find that the small ones fit perfectly in the leg pocket of my foul weather gear. Perfect for writing headings, danger bearings, maintenance notes, etc.
9. Sailing Buff: buff’s are great for summer or winter sports really. I wear a buff for winter sailing to stay warm, but I also wear one in the summer for sun protection. There are a bunch of options for how to wear a buff… just watch a couple episodes of Survivor and you’ll get some ideas 😉
10. Waterproof Speaker: I love having my music on the boat with me. I currently have a SRS-XB13 Extra Bass Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker. That thing has so much epoxy and paint on it, yet it still has great sound! It was $50 at The Source. There are also several more expensive options depending on your budget and the amount of space you have for one: JBL Charge 5 Waterproof Speaker, JBL Xtreme 3 Portable Waterproof Speaker, or even Bose SoundLink Micro Bluetooth Speaker.
BONUS: Gift Certificate ideas – Nautical Mind, Binnacle, Marine Outfitters, West Marine, Amazon
OTHER IDEAS: Courses (EP 4: Off-Season Training), Books (EP 9: My Top 8 Sailing Books)
Alright happy shopping and I am SURE your sailor (or you!) will be happy with these gifts 🙂
Leave a Reply