My name is Penny and I live in Nelson BC. I was about a year old the first time I went sailing. My mom tucked me under her arm and took me out on our family laser. Apparently I enjoyed myself enough to continue…
Since then I have sailed everything from small optis and lasers, to larger 50′ yachts. My love for sailing comes from my grandfather, Adrian, and he continues to inspire me with his love of all things water. I recently received an Aloha 28 from him and my Grandmother Heather and I am passing along the sailing bug to my husband and children.
I have taught Sail Canada courses through many reputable sailing schools across Canada including: Royal Vancouver Yacht Club, Advantage Boating, Humber College Sailing Centre, Pointe Claire Yacht Club, Royal St Lawrence Yacht Club and Harbour West Sailing Adventures. Their names and locations have changed over the years, but the many contacts and amazing people that I have taught with, and for, have not. They all helped shape who I now am as a sailor and an instructor.
- Nutty Knotter Award (age 5 – my best certificate yet!)
- Basic Cruising
- Intermediate Cruising
- Advanced Cruising
- Coastal Navigation
- VHF Marine Radio Operator
- Pleasure Craft Operator Certificate
- Basic Cruising Instructor
- Intermediate Cruising Instructor
- Advanced Cruising Instructor
- VHF Marine Radio Instructor
- Pleasure Craft Operator Certificate Instructor
- National Coaching Certificate Program Level 2 – Sailing
- Green Dinghy Instructor
- Blue Dinghy Instructor
- MetEd: Met 101
- MetEd: Flow Interactions with Topography
- MetEd: Advanced Fire Weather Forecasters Course
- US Power Squadron: Oceanography: Ocean Currents & Computer Navigation
- MetEd: Foundations of Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS)
- Offshore Personal Survival Course (Safety At Sea)
Other Sailing Experience:
- Founder: Sail Nelson, in Nelson BC – January 2017
- Translation English to French: Basic Cruising Standard, Sail Canada – 1997
- Secretary: Kootenay Lake Sailing Association 2016-2018
- Vic-Maui International Yacht Race – Turnagain delivery crew 2018
Languages: English, French, Spanish and Russian
The sailing landscape has changed significantly since I started my sailing journey many years ago and I am looking forward to offering courses now in BC and to adding some races to my resume. Racing is something that I did not do on keelboats — I went straight to cruising and teaching live aboards throughout the Great Lakes, the mighty St. Lawrence River and Georgian Bay. Now that we are located in BC I plan to take advantage of the plentiful sailing on the Pacific Coast.
Thansk!! Very good post!
Thanks Viki! Your page inspired me and I had fun adding lots of photos too. Thanks again for your ideas on FB. Much appreciated!